Ramadan is a month of spiritual reflection, self-improvement, and community building. However, it can also be a challenging time for staying active and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Many people who are fasting find themselves sedentary during the day and indulge in heavy meals at night, which can lead to weight gain, sluggishness, and other health issues. To combat these challenges, at STEPPI we have created a Ramadan steps challenge to encourage physical activity during the month.
Why is it important to be active during Ramadan?
- Physical health: Being active during Ramadan can help maintain physical health and prevent weight gain. Regular physical activity can also lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic conditions.
- Mental health: Physical activity has been shown to improve mood and reduce stress and anxiety. This can be especially beneficial during Ramadan when fasting and other spiritual practices can be mentally challenging.
- Spiritual benefits: Staying active can also have spiritual benefits. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) encouraged physical activity and emphasized the importance of taking care of one’s body as a means of worshiping Allah.
What is a Ramadan steps challenge?
A Ramadan steps challenge is a fun and easy way to encourage physical activity during the month. The challenge involves setting a daily step goal and tracking your progress using a pedometer or a fitness tracker. The goal can be tailored to your fitness level and can be as simple as taking 10,000 steps per day.
How can a Ramadan steps challenge help?
- Accountability: By participating in a steps challenge, you can hold yourself accountable for staying active during Ramadan. It can also be motivating to see your progress and compete with colleagues.
- Breaking up sedentary periods: A steps challenge can encourage you to break up sedentary periods throughout the day. Even a short walk during a break from work or after iftar can contribute to your daily step count.
- Family and community bonding: A steps challenge can also be a fun way to bond with colleagues and friends during Ramadan. You can create a group and compete against each other or share progress updates and encouragement.
In conclusion, being active during Ramadan can have numerous physical, mental, and spiritual benefits. A Ramadan steps challenge can help encourage physical activity and make it more fun and engaging. So why not start a STEPPI challenge at your organization and see how many steps you can take during the month?